Seven new cycle hire docking stations are opening today, including the first to open in Brixton town centre.
The expansion brings the new docking stations to Lambeth, after a funding agreement between Lambeth Council and TfL, which was originally announced last July.
The new docking stations have been filled with 200 of the new Santander Cycles built by England’s Pashley Cycles. These new bikes offer riders improved handling, visibility and comfort, with a new gel saddle, lower frame, new gear hub and improved front and rear Blaze lighting.
The new docking stations in Lambeth are located on:
- St. John’s Crescent, Brixton
- Ferndale Road, Brixton
- Saltoun Road, Brixton
- Cranmer Road, Stockwell
- Normandy Road, Stockwell
- Wynne Road, Stockwell
- Sidney Road, Stockwell
There are now more than 775 docking stations and 11,700 bikes in the cycle hire scheme.
Some odd 2017 annual hire member figures:
- St Peter’s Terrace, Fulham docking station was used 636 times by the same person.
- One Santander Cycles member visited 440 different docking stations.
- Waterloo Station was the most popular docking station with 341,157 trips either starting or ending there.
- One member cycled 21km from the Olympic Park to Putney.
Not to forget that in 2011, someone took them to Paris for a day trip.