The annual tradition of posting a different vintage image each day during advent, and this year, it’s of London’s old railway stations.
This is one of London’s many lost stations, and was sited between Dalston Kingsland and Canonbury on today’s London Overground.
Although the railway opened in 1850, the station didn’t open until 1880, possibly as there was another station until 1870 just up the road, at Newington Road. That was closed in 1870 and resited at nearby Canonbury.
Mildmay Station was originally designed to cater to commuter traffic, but the arrival of trams direct to the city killed off much of their customer base.
The station closed in September 1934.
The ticket office was on brick columns over the eastbound track and was demolished in 1987. Some remnants of the platforms remain.