If you were a commuter on the London Overground, it seems that unknown to most of us, it is possible to travel all the way to the USA, and probably back.

Thanks to a bit of a mistake and the use of filming people in front of green screen’s, an American commuter was seen riding to work, in the USA, on a London Overground train.

Yes, you can even see the Overground map in some bits.

Untitled-1

Although the commuters then get off trains that are nothing like as shiny and new as our London trains.

Untitled-2

The clip only appears for a few seconds, but in the fevered pitch of US politics that is enough for the clip to be dissected and the background analysed to see if there is a flaw in that can be exploited.

OMG – that’s not a real authentic good old American train they will say, and claim it’s an example of how the government is evil or something.

Personally, I think most Americans would be quite delighted to travel on the London Overground.

That said, I am deeply grateful that they didn’t use a tube train background by mistake. The howls of anguish from the tube geeks would be deafening.

Incidentally, you used to be able to board a train in London and travel to the USA — at least in theory. Trains ran from Paddington to Bristol, then you took a boat to the USA and carried on by train there. All on the same ticket.

I wonder what zone that would be on the tube map?

Via Telegraph

Also on ianVisits

Tagged with:

Whats's on in London: today or tomorrow or this weekend

9 comments on “What tube zone is Washington DC in?
  1. martin says:

I’m not sure that’s even an American commuter – she’s holding a BR-style ticket, and I think that’s a Pret coffee cup. Probably just a bit of stock footage they forgot to check the provenance of.

2. dave_in_chiswick says:

With regard to your last paragraph, you can now in fact board a train in Bristol and travel to Singapore on a single ticket:

(and yes that is a real photo)

3. Maggie says:

I love Obama’s America if it means we get a secret Overground train disguised as a MARC train that takes us to London!

4. Greg says:

This video is private.

5. Roy says:

As noted, the video is now private so I can’t see the whole thing. I’m pretty sure (seeing as I rode in on one today) that the still of the pax getting off is a Metro-North Shoreliner diesel push-pull set at Grand Central Terminal in New York City.

I dare say folks in those parts of the US with little or no public transport would prefer to have the Overground, but as a former commuter on SouthEastern now commuting on Metro-North, all I can say is please keep your cramped little toy trains. Here in the US we have a loading guage big enough to fit 3+2 seating that 3+2 adults can comfortably sit in without having to scrunch up their shoulders to their ears!

6. Nicholas Bennett says:

Bought a return day ticket from Bromley South to Calais on December 30th. Bus at Dover Priory to docks and then exchanged for P&O docket for ferry. £18.75 with senior rail card.

7. Smurf says:

Since your video is private it makes the rest of your post a bit pointless really

• IanVisits says:

It’s not “my video”, but a video made by a US political organisation, and whether they choose to make it public or not does not in any way make the observations I made about the mistake in the video “pointless”>