Fancy a week (well, almost) of events about the mysteries that lurk unseen under the streets of London? Sadly, mainly limited to talking about what is down there rather than actually visiting the places, the talks will still be of interest to many Londoners who share my fascination for the hidden underworld.
Although most of the events invite you to tour the subterranean world through the vicarious medium of lectures – there are two tours that will include going below ground.
Organised by Illumini (link removed, dead website), the talks are free and you can just turn up on the day – although to guarantee a seat, you can send them an email booking tickets if you want. However, for a couple of the tours, booking is required.
To book tickets for any of the tours, walks or talks – send an email to [email protected] with your details and which talks/tours you are interested in.
- There are two torchlight tours of Shoreditch Church Crypt on Friday 10th Sept (10:45am) and Tuesday 14th Sept (2pm) – free, booking essential (bring your own torch).
- A chance to climb through a very narrow entrance and down scaffolding to get inside the main shaft at Brunel’s tunnel in Rotherhithe. Tours leave 5pm & 6pm on Sat 11th and hourly noon to 4pm on Sun 12th Sept. – £5, no need to book, just pay on the day (I’ve been before, a couple of times)
- A walking tour, above ground, of what lies under Westminster on Wed 15th Sept at 2pm – £5, booking required.
Then there are the talks:
All take place at The Basement Shoreditch Town Hall, 380 Old Street, London, EC1V 9LT
Friday 10th Sept
- 11am The Occult World of Subterranean London
- The talk will cover where to meet druids, witches and wizards; how to find good tarot readers; the hidden, occult places of London, and more.
- 2pm Crypts, Creatures and Caverns: the Folklore of Subterranean London
- Dark,tales of London’s lost grottos and caverns, strange sewer creatures, urban legends and panics and ghostly goings-on in crypts and catacombs
- 5pm Subterranean City
- Antony Clayton, author of Subterranean City will talk about various aspects of the inverted city beneath our streets
Saturday 11th Sept
- 11am Living London uncovers the mysteries that lie beneath us
- Find out about secret tunnels and rooms that exist in our city.
- 2pm Eighth Wonder of the world
- Robert Hulse, Director of The Brunel Museum, tells the story of the men who dug the Brunel Tunnel
- 4:30pm What lurks beneath – spirits and spectres of subterranean London
- Rosie Murdie, ghost investigator and member of The Ghost Club will tell some of the ghostly tales associated with subterranean London.
Sunday 12th Sept
- 11am Post Office underground miniature Train
- A talk on the post office miniature underground railway, which was used to carry post through central London
- 3:30pm Mysteries & ghosts of London Underground
- A talk from a member of London Underground Staff, covering the baffling mysteries & ghosts on the Tube.
Monday 13th Sept
- 11am Silver Vaults
- A virtual tour through the underground jewelers workshops of Hatton Garden
- 1:30pm Empire of Shadows
- This talk explores Victorian London’s criminal underworld through the plays of the day.
- 4pm Into the Belly of the Beast: Exploring London’s Sewers
- This talk will consider the allure of London’s sewers, past and present.