Plans to restore Nunhead Cemetery’s former superintendent lodge have been approved by Southwark Council, and there’s now a consultation on how the building will be used after its restoration
Nunhead Cemetery, consecrated in 1840, is one of the Magnificent Seven Victorian cemeteries that were created around the edges of London as it was at the time.
On either side of the main entrance are two lodges, the western is now a private home, but the eastern lodge, originally built as an office for the Cemetery and later converted to a house for the Cemetery Superintendent, but following a fire in 1970, it has been left to fall into decay, and is now on Historic England’s Buildings at Risk Register.
The structure was stabilised in 1997, but funds were not available for a restoration. Planning permission for a restoration of the building was granted last year, and subject to a Heritage Lottery grant, works will be able to start shortly.
The restored Lodge would have step-free access to both floors with a café, publically available and fully accessible toilet facilities, an exhibition space, community rooms and Friends of Nunhead Cemetery visitor reception area. There’s a large basement as well, which will be restored and used by the tenants.
Southwark Council is consulting on what visitors enjoy about visiting the Cemetery now and what additional facilities and activities they would like to be made available there in the future.
The consultation is here.
It’ll take a while yet, but in time, people in Nunhead will have a fully restored Victorian lodge to enjoy.