An empty hotel with raw concrete spaces is to become the venue for a new “multisensory exhibition” that sounds just about intriguing enough to visit.
The blurb sayth:
The Flipside is a multisensory exhibition held by Selfridges in The Old Selfridges Hotel – a vast, one-of-a-kind location. The exhibition provides a thought-provoking journey into altered states of luxury, demonstrated by Google, Loewe, Mr Lyan, Thom Browne, Gareth Pugh, Louis Vuitton and Byredo.
Hmmm – I wish art exhibitions did a better job of describing what they are.
Previous art exhibitions in The Old Selfridges Hotel have been a bit hit or miss, with some being really quite wonderful, and others, well, what was the point.
This is one of those, it might be amazing, or awful. The only way to find out is to book a ticket (which are free) and have a look.
The exhibition runs from 26th April to 20th May – and tickets can be booked here.
The artists are:
- Byredo explores Radical Luxury through a dystopian future where fresh water will be amongst the most precious of things.
- Discover the boundary-shattering designer’s video installation, touching on themes of escape, freedom and clarity.
- Explore your own visual expressions of luxury and create your personal portrait to share with the world. Your luxury self. Captured on Google Pixel 2.
- Enter a forest of sculptural forms, where nature, craft and tradition work hand in hand, signifying a limitless future in which Earth’s resources are protected through intelligent design and creativity.
- Louis Vuitton invites you to explore a deeply modern way of looking at travel, bringing to life a fantastical world that translates the House’s vision of the future.
- Welcome to the future of personalised goods as Mr Lyan (AKA award-winning bartender Ryan Chetiyawardana) helps you discover a tailor-made tipple.
- Enjoy a unique ‘front row’ experience of Thom Browne’s magical Spring/Summer ‘18 show with an other-worldly mirroring of a traditional music box.